7.24.2012

Crafty KIDS Week: Toilet Paper Roll Shakers!

Photobucket

Guiseppa here and I love the month of July.  For us over in the USA...we celebrate the 4th of July and for those of us who live in Utah...we also celebrate July 24th, the birth of our state.  So, how about we get the kids more involved with the celebrating.

Today I want to share a quick noise maker that you and your kids can make in just minutes.  These are perfect for your kids to shake and make noise while watching all the fireworks go off.  I know that  my kids love to make noise, so chances are that yours do too.

First you want to gather your supplies and there really isn't much to these.
1. Toilet Paper Rolls
2. Patterned Paper for decorating
3. Packing Tape
4. Pasta, beans or some other small solid objects that will make noise when shaken.


Photobucket

Next you will want to tape one end off of your toilet paper roll and make sure it is completely sealed so nothing will come out.  Don't worry about it looking pretty right now because you will be covering it up with patterned paper.

Photobucket


Take your shaker filler and fill up the toilet paper roll 1/3 of the way.  Don't worry if the filler sticks to the tape inside.  That won't matter when your kids are busy shaking away.  Then, you will want to seal the other end with more packing tape so none of the filler will come out.

Photobucket

Next, you will want to measure out how much patterned paper you will need to cover your toilet paper roll in.  Then use some strong glue and glue the paper to the roll.  Hold in place for a few minutes to make sure it is dry and will stay in place.

Photobucket

I wanted to make my shakers look festive, so I made these fun little flowers that look like fireworks when they explode in the sky.  So, first I cut strips of patterned paper and cut little slits the whole length of the strip, making sure not to cut through the strip.

Photobucket

I then started rolling up the paper strip from one end making sure the pattern that I wanted showing was facing me when I started rolling.

Photobucket

Once I was finished rolling I glued the end and then began folding all the little tabs down, going around in a circle.  You firework flower should end up looking like this.

Photobucket

Finally I glued these flowers to my shaker tubes!  How fun and cute is this?

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket So, 
So, I was thinking...and you can make these fun shakers for any occasion for your kids or just for fun (if you can stand the noise) Thanks for stopping by and I hope enjoyed my project!

Supplies: patterned papers: GCD Studios Oh Happy Day Collection ( Meagan and Amber's Avenue), packing tape, toilet paper rolls and pasta.



Photobucket

2 comments: