12.17.2009

Two fun projects



Santa's Workshop
By Grace Tolman
Our wonderful DT coordinator Heidi gave me this birdhouse, as part of my project for this month. Honestly it sat on my desk for a couple of days, before I finally figured out what to do with it. Not that the birdhouse was not fun to alter, I just didn't know how to connect the item to Christmas until... after I looked at my papers some more and the idea came! I would add the whimsy patterns of our Christmas collection to the house and make it a Santa's workshop!

1)
I first primed my house with white paint. I think it's a great idea to always add a splash of paint onto any wood project. This gives you a clean and finished look at the end. The paint also helps if you can't cover the entire project with paper.
2)
I measured each part of the birdhouse and cut my papers according to size.
3)
I used mod podge for this project. I love the result of liquid adhesive on altered items like this.
4)
I then cut circles and cut that in half to make scallops for my roof and punched a scallop border from the striped pattern paper to hung from the roof. Finished that off with some GCD studios ribbon.
5)
I cut out some trees from one of the pattern papers in the collection and dressed up the front with it. I took one of my leftover popsicle sticks from the countdown project, covered that with pattern paper and grabbed a journaling block from the collection pack to house my project title.

Notes:
I made a mistake while spelling out my title and made the word workshop plural (added an s at the end) so to cover up my mistake, I added a button over the word and balanced it out with another ribbon on the top of the block. This just shows that creativity can always occur even when making mistakes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Christmas Kitty
By Renee
Renee has provided us with this fun Sketch.
Thanks Grace and Renee for a FUN post today!

4 comments:

  1. hi grace. you made a beautiful mistake ;o) and your santa's workshop is sooo cute.

    renee's layout is super cute too - - made me miss my pet cat!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous birdhouse and I LOVE the layout! Maybe I'll start scrappin' my kitties! xxD

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable little birdhouse, Grace!

    ReplyDelete