5.22.2012

Water Color Week: Get Creative With Titles

When it comes to paint, I love working with watercolors. There is something almost magical about the way the water mixes with the color, the way it pools on paper and how the paint blends with other colors. When it comes to scrapbooking, watercolors are my go-to medium for filling in hand-drawn or stamped titles. This layout seemed to call for a watercolor title:


I used Twinkling H2O's (watercolors infused with mica for a glittery sheen) in strawberry colors to create my title. The watercolor effect of the letters reminds me of how juicy those strawberries were - yum!


First, I drew my letters on regular cardstock. You could also print or stamp a fillable alpha. Next, starting with the darkest color and using a fine-tipped brush, I added paint to the bottom portion of my letters.


Then I added a lighter color, blending the colors by overlapping the paint. I made the letters more strawberry-like by topping them with green, then using a milky watercolor to blend the pink through to the green.


When the letters were dry, I cut them out and added them to my layout with just a bit of glue. I like the way the watercolor paint made the letters curl, so I didn't glue them entirely down.



If your next layout is in need of a custom title treatment, give this watercolor technique a try. The end result will be a unique, artsy, and beautiful title.

Supplies used: Strawberry Jam Paper (1510) - Country Charm, Floral Field Paper (1507) - Country Charm, Pink Flora (1682) - Splendor. Other: cardstock, watercolors, pen, mist, fabric tape, washi tape.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! So pretty! Your tutorial is great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this title! Gorgeous layout as well! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man I LOVE this layout!!! So summery, and the letters! AWEsome!

    ReplyDelete