4.03.2010

1974

TECHNIQUE LAYOUT
By Melissa Mann




For my layout titled “1947”, I wanted to have a reminiscent “feel” since I was using some older family photos of my Grandma & Great-Grandma. I used the Homespun Chic line predominantly for this layout. I also used a misting/masking technique on this layout that I have broken down into a step-by-step tutorial. This is a simple masking method using leftover scrapbooking product! Don't throw away those pieces of packaging – sometimes they make the best masks!


I had a piece of packaging from a pack of stickers that I had purchased last year. The negative piece that was left over was in a nice big sunburst shape. I wanted to place this sunburst shape at the very top of my layout.


I cut out the patterned pieces of paper that I would be using and laid them on my piece of Kraft Cardstock to get an idea of where I would need to place my mask. After doing this, I made a light mark with my pencil so I would know where to place the bottom part of the mask.

I took all of the pieces of patterned paper off of the cardstock and positioned my mask at the top of my page. I surround it on all sides with some scrap paper so that none of my mist/ink would hit anywhere else on the page.

After laying down the pieces of paper – I gently held down the pieces of paper and sprayed Kosmos Glimmer Mist first. Then, I sprayed the Sunflower Yellow Mist over top of that.


I carefully removed the pieces of paper. After removing them, I took my roll of paper towels and rolled it carefully over the top to soak up the remaining mist that had not dried.

I then carefully peeled off the mask and was left with my pink/orange sunburst! It made a great focal point for my butterfly that I placed in the middle of the sunburst.

SUPPLIES USED:
Patterned Paper: GCD Studios Homespun Chic Collection
1.Homespun Mod
2.Pink Stitchery
3.Petit Blossoms
Cardstock: Kraft
Thread
Mist: Tattered Angels Kosmos Glimmer Mist & Maya Road Sunflower Yellow Mist
Punches: Martha Stewart Border Punch, Starburst Punch, & Butterfly Punches
Paper Borders: GCD Studio Homespun Chic Die Cut Borders
Alphabet: Cosmo Cricket High Noon
Embellishments:
1.GCD Studio Homespun Chic Word Strips
2.Hambly Rubon Stitches
3.GCD Studio Homespun Chic Felt Flowers
4.My Minds Eye Lush Rhinestone
5.Prima Pearls & Crystals
Typewriter
PopDots
Kitschy Digitals Vintage Frame (photo)

16 comments:

  1. Fabulous layout! and how clever of you with the masking! xxD

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool technique! Thanks for the tutorial. :)
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial and lo!! LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous layout and I love the technique:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this LO Melissa! Those papers work wonderfully with the vintage photos. Great technique and tutorial too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous layout & love the masking tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. very cool Melissa! great lo, love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW....this is a gorgeous layout!!! Love all your details!

    ReplyDelete
  9. qhat a great technique Melissa! Love the layout- the color paper is perfect with the B&W pics!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great use of mist and masking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh la la, Melissa! Dig the masking. And totally dig the layout!

    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea on using packaging! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. you go girl!!! great technique tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a STUNNING heritage layout!

    ReplyDelete
  15. melissa this is so beautiful!
    :)
    xo
    -d

    ReplyDelete