4.17.2010

A tiny flower to create a border


I enjoy documenting my twin daughters' growth by creating layouts for each month of their first year. I thought the Lydia collection matched perfectly for their 7 month photos. I love the flocked yellow patterned paper in the collection - the texture creates such an elegant look.


To create my title block, I used one of the plaques from the ChipArt chipboard collection and a tiny flower to create a border along the bottom. I then dry brushed brown paint across the plaque. I machine-stitched along the edge of my chipboard piece. Yes, you can even stitch on chipboard (I would suggest using a separate needle just for this purpose). I cut a strip of the green and cream plaid patterned paper and pleated it before I placed it above my flower border. I cut out a purple flower and green leaves from the patterned paper and adhered it with foam adhesive. Finally, I adhered my title and a rhinestone to the flower.



I kept the rest of my design fairly simple but wanted to create some interest and texture above the larger photo of my daughters. I made a row of patterned paper flowers and will share this easy tutorial with you.



To begin, freehand cut a circle from patterned paper.



Then cut a spiral in the circle (the key here is imperfection…don't worry about keeping lines straight).


(Before beginning the next step, you can distress the edges of your spiral with ink or paint). Start at the center of your spiral and begin swirling your circle into a rolled flower, adhering with glue dots along the way. Add a button, rhinestone, or die-cut to the center of your flower.


It's easy to create these flowers and they add a lot with minimal supplies and time. Try varying the sizes of these circles as well for added interest.



(Additional supplies used: American Crafts thickers, Basic Grey alphabet stickers, Melissa Frances rhinestones, Fiskar's punch).

Happy Spring!
Jill

13 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhhhhhh so sweet!! I'm going to be making those flowers for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I need to try both the flocking technique and those flowers! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your twins are the sweetest!!! Love this layout!!! The stitching is amazing and those flowers are the perfect accent!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a sweet layout! The stitching on the chipboard is amazing! I can barely stitch on paper, so I am totally impressed!

    ~Lea

    ReplyDelete
  5. This l/o screams perfection and balance! I love it!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love how this turned out - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. your daughters look like real life porcelain dolls! the layout is also GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi. I love everything that you made. Come and check out my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there, Jill!
    Nice layout. And cute, cute girls!

    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how PRECIOUS!!! for a minute I thought I was seeing double! LOL Adorable layout and I love the flowers. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sweet Jill! Those tiny flowers are just precious!

    ReplyDelete