4.22.2010

From fabric... to tissue paper!

Hello there! Kristen here with a pretty vintage looking flower for you to create.

One of the hottest new trends out there is making your own flowers, from fabric to tissue paper, they are all just gorgeous. I have created a flower with a sewing pattern tissue paper and the possibilities with these flowers are just endless.




You will need a sewing pattern, and leave it folded. I also used a nicely large punch to punch out my flower shapes. Tissue paper/sewing paper is pretty delicate, I found that leaving the sheets folded gave me just the right thickness to punch cleanly through the paper. If it's too many, it won't punch and too few will tear through the paper more then punch through it.

Next, you are going to use micro mini glue dots to adhere the center of the flower on each layer of paper.



I then used a hole punch to punch through the middle of the flower center.


Next, scrunch the flowers.



And to finish, add brads, gems, buttons, crocheted flowers, etc.. to the middle of your flower, re-scrunching the paper petals to just the right shape.


Now, for the project I made with these flowers, a butterfly banner, perfect for my scrapbooking space.




I recommend you enlarge this photo to see all the details.


To make this banner you will need:

GCD studios
Ava Collection- Teal Pinwheels, Emeral, Topaz, Flutter, Quartz, Crosshatch, Big Mod, and Sunny Pinwheels
Homespun Chic- fabric brads
Artsy Urban- Crochet Flowers, Vintage Buttons
Chip art tools and Chipboard- Melody Ross chipboard butterfly book, Sparrow Upper Case Alphabet
Vintage Floral, Iron Works, Butterflies, Mini Shapes

other- ribbon (teal, black and green) gems, twine, white acrylic paint, spray glitter mist, black spray mist, black pen, yellow and blue metallic cream rub ons, buttons.

First, I used my chipart tools to deboss my butterfly shapes, adding different shapes to each butterfly and creating a word along the edge of the butterfly.



Second, I painted my butterflies with white acrylic, then misted them with black spray mist. I then painted them a second time with my white acrylic paint. When dry, I highlighted the words with a black pen. Then added metallic cream rub ons to the edges of the butterfly, mixing them lightly at the meeting point of the two colors.



Finally I added three circles to the centers of the butterflies, adding smaller and smaller layers, adding foam tape between the second and third layers. Each butterfly uses three different pattern papers.

I then cut out a butterfly from the Flutter paper and adhered it to the top circle. I then spray glittered all three butterflies.







After allowing the butterflies to dry, I added my sewing pattern paper flowers to the center of the butterflies. I also tied each butterfly together with ribbons, adding several buttons tied on a piece of twine to each tie. Then I added two additional cut out butterflies hanging down between the larger butterflies.

I hope you have enjoyed both my paper flowers and my butterfly banner today.
kris

22 comments:

  1. I love this banner! The colors and details are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is beyond beautiful! Gotta try those flowers! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  3. wowzers...sooooooooo amazing! love the banner and those fab, fab flowers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Swooooon, this is so beautiful!
    hugs
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. thankyou so much for sharing your great idea with us today. I love your flowers and butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much inspiration! I love it...and I need to make one and put it in my new bathroom! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO gorgeous Kris!! I lovelovelove those flowers! I know what I'll be doing with those old sewing patterns now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute! I am addicted to making different paper flowers and need some more ideas! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh la la, Kris! Those are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Drool... Kris ! This is so neat ! Love 'em !

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is simply stunning Kris! Lovely work!

    I have that punch! I'll have to give your flower idea a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my gosh!! That is just gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the idea of using the sewing pattern paper. Ran out today and bought a pattern. This is a must for my next layout. Thanks for sharing the technique!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this idea! I just picked up some old patterns at a yard sale and I have that punch. I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kris, this is just fantastic! Love the tutorial and the awesome original idea!!! ROCKS!

    ReplyDelete