6.10.2010

I struggle with Father's Day!

Hello! I have a fabulous post for you today. I have to tell you, I struggle with Father's Day. Masculine style is hard for me to create. I do love my glitter, gems and lots and lots of pink. But I try to include Hubby in my creations, which is why, today, I am bringing the outside in.

Have you ever seen something from nature and wanted to use it for a decor item? Sometimes I add rocks, or leaves, or even sticks to my art. If you wash them ( if you can) or pick a nice green stem that is still supple, they work beautifully.

Think of all the natural items in the craft store you can buy: skeletonized leaves, sea shells, pebbles, dried flowers, etc.. Now think of the savings if you simply look in your back yard.

For this frame, I picked a nice twig that had fallen to the ground.


Supplies-( gcd studios artsy urban papers ( from 8x8 pad), artsy urban felt diecut borders, chip art tool set (mini shapes) chipboard birds ) other- letter stickers Reminisce, markers- sharpie, buttons and twine, paint, crackle medium, frame

First- Paint your frame cream, then crackle coat it, and repaint again with burnt sienna acrylic color. Allow to dry.

Remove glass from frame.

Cut pieces of blue paper to fit inside each frame. Then cut green paper into rectangle and mat with black paper.Add sticker letters to each rectangle. Foam tape back of rectangles and adhere to blue paper inside each frame.

Cut scallop border into pieces to fit the width of each frame. Adhere across green paper. Use ChipArt tool to deboss small star into several bird shapes, color with burnt sienna marker.

Take twig and see what position best fits across frame, if needed sand down spots where twig meets frame to better hold glue.Glue into place and allow to dry. Hand cut leaves of different papers, adhere to twig and frame in an artful way. :)

Tie bow with single button and knots in several more. Add to branch and letter A frame as shown.
Won't this make a great Father's Day gift for any dad! I sure hope I can keep my kids quite about it long enough to surprise my hubby!!

Have a great day!

kriste

7 comments:

  1. This is super-I have similar problems with this holiday. This is fantastic inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is super! I love how you used the branch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is SO fabulous!! I like to use twigs and branches sometimes too!

    ReplyDelete