9.24.2010

Fall Color Chipboard Necklace

Hi, GCD Studios fans! Leslie here to share with you my
version of this month's challenge...wearable art. I was heavily
inspired by the new rage in necklace design right now, bib necklaces!
They are over the top pretty and come in so many different styles,
shapes and sizes. The best part about this one is it's very
light and easy to wear because it's made from chipboard!


I made it so that the length is highly adjustable, depending on the
top I'm wearing it with.

Now, here are a few in the process photos. I started by
laying out my chipboard shapes and layering them until they made a pleasing
design and fit together nicely.



(I was glad I took this photo to refer back to later once all the
pieces had been painted and decorated.)

My color inspiration came from the early fall color palette from my
favorite clothing store, The Loft.



After I de-bossed the chipboard with various ChipArt Ornamental stamps, I painted each piece a different
color from my chosen palette and then applied Glaze Base, Copper paint
and a little Mod Podge. Once the glaze mixture had set for a few
seconds, I wiped the glaze off.

Here is one of the pieces up close.



I did go back and hand paint some of the glaze into the de-bossed
image. Once all the pieces were dry I started assembling the
necklace. I used E6000 glue to adhere them to each other in layers.





When I had all the pieces secured I flipped the necklace over
and glued two copper jump rings to the back.


To finish off the look, I applied a layer of Liquid Glass (Close to My
Heart) Dimensional adhesive to the front. This takes a long time
to dry, but gives it a epoxy finish I really like.

I also decided to add a few clusters of copper colored seed
beads to the middle of the flowers.



I hope you've been inspired to create wearable art with your scrapbook
supplies!!

8 comments:

  1. wowza!! That is just so impressive!!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. impressive necklace is right. it looks so fun and pretty. couldn't even tell it was chipboard until I started reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the smaller ones better. I'm not too much for bulky stuff, but this looks pretty enough to hang on the wall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever and beautiful! I love coming back to your blog again and again for such amazing "outside of the box" projects. What will you think of next?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This is beautiful! I can't wear a lot of jewelry at work, by my daughter would LOVE this!! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just darling Leslie! The colors are so fun!

    ReplyDelete