9.10.2010

Pattern paper squares

Good morning! Kristen here!

I have a gorgeous frame decor piece made with mostly gcd studios products for you today. I also want to share the techniques I used to create it.

One of my most favorite things to do with large images on paper is to fussy cut them out, which I have shared with you before. I cut out quite a few of these beautiful embossed glossy butterflies. I also used a fun square quilting technique to piece together my background.


What I did was to use a 1.5 inch square punch. I simply took the background sheet of the frame, the piece that is chipboard, and I adhered my pattern paper squares in a random pattern, trying to alternate colors and patterns. I used papers from the Artsy Urban collection, there are several black and white patterns in this collection, so I decided to stick with that, and have pops of color in the details.


When I finished placing all my squares on the background, I used a pen to 'stitch' down each side of the seams between the squares.



I then added a large chipboard piece, and decorated the rest with Artsy Urban papers, cutting out and popdotting the butterflies, bending their wings to make them more dimensional.


When I created my flower, I crumpled some dampened paper circles, then allowed it to dry, and added some bits of tulle and a brad to the center.



To finish the piece, I added some buttons and brads to the top and bottom of the piece, along with a large tulle bow.




have a terrific day!
kris

7 comments:

  1. oh my gosh how cute is that!!! Such a great idea! And totally affordable too......you could do these for every holiday for home decor!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love layered pictures. I scraplifted one from an online friend and loved the results. Vintage, layers, and butterflies are always a wonderful combination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! Thanks for sharing such a beautifully inspiring masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is beautiful! Love all the details!

    ReplyDelete